Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Demodex Skin Mites & Rosacea



Time to gross out everybody!  Before I explain what these demodex mites are, let me start with everybody has them, yes even you.  That being said they still gross me out.  These mites feed on facial oil and skin cells.  They are little party animals, usually coming out to feast during the night while you sleep. They reside in the base of the hair follicle.  During the day, and don't ask me how they know day from night, but they do, they feed on the oil and skin cells.  At night they mate and the female will lay eggs inside the hair follicle.  This is only one reason, but a REALLY good one for cleansing your face at night!!!  If this doesn't get you to do it then nothing will; I'm guessing.  

A common skin condition called Rosacea is thought to be caused, at least in part, by an over production of these mites.  Apparently these little critters do not have an anus, yes I said that.  So what happens is they hold on to all their waste until they die, at which time during decomposition it is all released, usually inside the hair follicle.  It is now believed that this process is enough to trigger an immune reaction, inflammation and skin irritation, possibly Rosacea.

An over production of these mites is also thought to be one of the causes of hair loss.  Can they be safely removed and should we want to remove them?  I want to, as I said earlier, they gross me out.  Just the thought of them makes me squirm.  But honestly, there is no need.  They do not cause any harm if not over produced.  Laser is the best known treatment to kill them.  Topically you can apply Sea Buckhorn Oil to help with the inflammation of rosacea and if mites are to blame it will help to reduce the number of them which should reduce the inflammation too.

No comments:

Post a Comment